Friday, April 17, 2009

Easily Distracted...

I was cleaning off my desk just now and found my CVS receipts from last week's deals. To get my "Weekly Savings" each week for my posts, I add up Wal-Mart's prices for all of the items I purchased since that is where I would have purchased them before I started using the Rewards Program. I then subtract what I actually spent from that number. This past week, I calculated my savings to be $94.14. CVS also includes a "Today You Saved" line on the bottom of their receipts. According to their calculations (if I would have purchased the items at CVS non-sale prices and without using coupons), I saved a total of $127.38. That is a difference of $33.24.

Why does this all matter? I used to think I was a thrifty shopper because I purchased as much as I could at Wal-Mart. I still believe this was the best place for me to shop then, and for anyone else who doesn't cut coupons and follow the deals. I still use Wal-Mart for anything I can't spy a deal on because their base-line prices are usually the lowest. Cutting the coupons and figuring the deals takes quite a bit of work and is time-consuming, and if I ever decide the time isn't worth the deals, I will probably go back to solely using Wal-Mart. Prior to using coupons and CVS sales, I would have saved $33.24 by purchasing those same items at Wal-Mart rather than CVS. By using the coupons and reward program now, however, I saved $94.14 over what I would have spent at Wal-Mart before. I would say that I've definitely increased my "Weekly Savings" amount from when I just shopped at Wal-Mart to save us money!

No comments:

Post a Comment