Friday, March 27, 2009

Menus

I've been making weekly menus for a while now. It has really cut back on our trips to the store and helped me get supper going earlier in the day. I love not having to decide every day what we are going to eat that night. I also think it fancies up our eating. If I have to decide that day what I want to fix, I usually take the lazier route and fix something quick, easy, and that I've fixed a zillion times before. I've found that if I plan ahead and commit myself to trying something new, we eat healthier and get less tired of our "rut" foods. I've been making a weekly menu that incorporates one or two new recipes, and we have found lots of new favorites! I tried doing a two-week menu over the last month and loved it even more. It is really a lot of work the day I work on it, but is oh-so-worth-it!!! I have been cutting and filing my coupons faithfully. I make my menu and my shopping list and gather my coupons. Then, I go to the store. That is a job and a half, so I've decided that for such a big trip, it is much easier to wait until that night and go. Jim puts the boys in bed while I go to the store. Wal-Mart is just across the street and is much less crowded at that hour. I know some folks are anti-WM, but it works for me. They price-match other local ad papers, have just about everything on my list, are (overall) cheaper than the other grocery stores, and I know the layout like my own home. Not having to run all over town saves me time and money.

I'm getting most of my new recipes from my Weight Watchers cookbooks. We are aiming for yummy, lower-point suppers to help us reach our final weight-goals. I plan on creating some sort of list of recipes with links for this blog, but until I get that figured out and going, if anyone wants a copy of a recipe, just leave me a comment. This new menu below contains several new recipes for us to try. I went to the store last night and am prepared to cook! We'll see how it goes! (The page notations are for me, as well as anyone else that may have these same cookbooks.)

(Side note: I've been keeping a notebook of my menus but love this new method! I just made my list of ideas, and then moved them around until it worked!)

3/26 Thursday: Cheesy Chicken and Rice, Roasted Veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, tomatoes)
3/27 Friday: Out to Eat, Shopping Errands
3/28 Saturday Breakfast: Breakfast Skillet, Whole Wheat Toast with Fruit Spread
Saturday Lunch: Fresh Mozzarella and Tomato Panini (pg 43 of Best Eats), Potato Soup
Saturday Supper: Cheeseburgers, LO Roasted Veggies, Grilled Corn
3/29 Sunday Breakfast: Breakfast Skillet, Whole Wheat Toast with Fruit Spread
Sunday Lunch (church): Ham, Roasted Veggies, Lima Beans, Cornbread
Sunday Supper: Leftovers (LO)
3/30 Monday: Tuscan Braised Turkey with Cannellini Beans (pg 138 of Now & Later), Garlic Mashed Potatoes (pg 205 of All-Time Favorites)
3/31 Tuesday: Chinese Pork and Noodles (pg 98 of Now & Later), Pork Egg Rolls
4/1 Wednesday: LO Turkey Panini, Progresso Light Soup
4/2 Thursday: Weight Watchers/Out To Eat
4/3 Friday: LO Turkey/Ham Panini, Crinkle Fries
4/4 Saturday Breakfast: Breakfast Scramble, Whole Wheat Toast with Fruit Spread
Saturday Lunch: Chick-Fil-A (running errands)
Saturday Supper: LO Chinese Pork and Noodles, Egg Rolls
4/5 Sunday Breakfast: Breakfast Scramble, Whole Wheat Toast with Fruit Spread
Sunday Lunch (church): Taco Soup, Fritos, and Cheese; Corn Casserole; Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sunday Supper: Leftovers
4/6 Monday: Thai Coconut Soup (pg 99 of Now & Later), Spiced Shrimp with Mango Puree (pg 259 of All-Time Favorites)
4/7 Tuesday: Maryland Crab Cakes with Lemon Remoulade (pg 158 of All-Time Favorites), Roasted Asparagus
4/8 Wednesday: Spaghetti with Turkey Italian Sausage Sauce, Romaine/Tomato Salad, Garlic Bread
4/9 Thursday: Weight Watchers/Out To Eat
4/10 Friday: BBQ Brisket, Mashed Potatoes, Cannellini Beans (freezer), Corn on the Cob
4/11 Saturday Breakfast: Omelets, Turkey Sausage
Saturday Lunch: Manwiches, Fries, Cookies to church for painting day
Saturday Supper: Chick-Fil-A
4/12 Sunday Breakfast: Waffles, Turkey Sausage
Sunday Lunch (church): Manwiches, Fries, Green Beans, and CC Cookies
Sunday Supper: Leftovers
4/13 Monday: Grilled pork chops, Mixed Greens, Spicy Beans, Cornbread
4/14 Tuesday:Chicken Parmesan with Whole Wheat Spaghetti (LO Spaghetti Sauce), Squash with Peppers, Onions, and Tomatoes
4/15 Wednesday: Roasted Chicken Panini, Potato Soup
4/16 Thursday:Weight Watchers/Out to Eat
4/17 Friday:Grilled Steak, Veggie Steamer
4/18 Saturday Breakfast: Waffles, Turkey Sausage
Saturday Lunch: Church Meeting in Fort Worth
Saturday Supper: Church (stop on way home or leftovers)
4/19 Sunday Breakfast: Waffles, Turkey Sausage
Sunday Lunch (church):Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti, Roasted Vegetables, Strawberry/Angel Food Cake Dessert
Sunday Supper: Leftovers
4/20 Monday: Papa Murphy's
4/21 Tuesday: Italian-Style Pot Roast (red potatoes, stewed tomatoes, and green beans included) (pg 120 of Now & Later), Pumpernickel Bread
4/22 Wednesday: Tuscan Braised Turkey with Cannellini Beans (pg 138 of Now & Later), Garlic Mashed Potatoes (pg 205 of All-Time Favorites), Pumpernickel Bread
4/23 Thursday: Weight Watchers/Out to Eat
4/24 Friday: Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches (pg 121 of Now & Later), Baked Sweet Potato Fries
4/25 Saturday Breakfast: Waffles, Turkey Sausage
Saturday Lunch (church singing): Lasagna, Roasted Vegetables, Fruit Tray, Spinach and Strawberry Salad, Chocolate Chip Cookies
Saturday Supper: grilled hamburgers, grilled corn, fries
4/26 Sunday Breakfast: Waffles, Turkey Sausage
Sunday Lunch (church): Tuscan Braised Turkey with Cannellini Beans (pg 138 of Now & Later), Roasted Vegetables, Strawberry/Angel Food Cake Dessert
Sunday Supper: Leftovers
4/27 Monday: Fajita Pork and Pasta (pg 75 of Best Eats), Steamed Veggies
4/28 Tuesday:(Breakfast for Supper) Hashbrown Stackers, Biscuits
4/29 Wednesday: Stirfry (round steak, frozen veggie mix, brown rice), egg rolls
4/30 Thursday: Weight Watchers/Out to Eat

2 comments:

  1. I love menu planning. IT saves me time and money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I haven't had a chance to make a mune since mid March and I really, really miss it. It makes things so much easier.

    ReplyDelete